Welcome to A Brewed Awakening

New Orleans Style Red Beans (with Salt Pork)



Red Beans and Rice are a staple in most Southern Louisiana homes, ours included, especially once the weather starts turning cooler. Red Beans are a great hearty, comfort food that will be sure to warm you up!

We didn't eat red beans at home growing up and I HATED even the smell of red beans other places. As an adult, I started cooking and was able to tweak my recipe until it was something I enjoyed eating. My kids prefer my red beans over pretty much everyone else's!

New Orleans Style Red Beans (with Salt Pork)





Ingredients

1lb dried red beans, rinsed and sorted
6 ounces salt pork
1/2lb smoked sausage, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper
5 garlic cloves, chopped 
1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon hot sauce
5 cups chicken stock
5 cups water (enough to finish covering beans by about 2-3 inches)

Directions


1. In a large bowl or pot, add beans and cover with water by about 2 inches
2. Let soak 6 hours or overnight
3. Drain beans and set them aside
4. In a large skillet, cook pork salt and smoked sausage over medium-high heat until cooked through and browned.
5. Remove pork salt from skillet leaving grease.
6. Reduce heat to medium-low and add onion and bell pepper to skillet with the leftover grease. 
7. Season with pepper and salt. Saute until onions are translucent and bell pepper is soft. (About 5 minutes)
8. In a medium/large stockpot, add beans, cooked onion and bell pepper, pork salt and sausage, chicken stock, and finish covering with water. 
9. Add chopped garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, and hot sauce
10. Cook on medium-high until it comes to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally until beans are tender (about 2-3 hours) (If beans become too thick and dry, add about 1/4 cup of water at a time until desired  consistency)
11. Serve over rice


I really hope you enjoy trying out this recipe. Leave me a comment below and let me know how yours turns out! 




















Comments

  1. Yum, this looks so delicious, I always love trying out new recipes too, and finding them on blogs is the best, I recently made something from a recipe I found on someones blog and I'm so glad I did. I might have to have a go at this! Thanks for sharing :)

    Chloe xx
    www.chloechats.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds lovely! I love red beans (we call them kidney beans in the UK). I've never been brave enough to cook them from scratch so use tinned ones. I'll have to give this a try, thanks for the recipe 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really delicious wow, I just used 12 oz of salt pork no sausage. And celery instead of pepper.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment