Welcome to A Brewed Awakening

Dad's are parents! Not babysitters.


With Father's Day Weekend coming up fast, I have a little annoyance I'd like to share. Whenever I'm out without my children, people like to ask if "dad is babysitting" for me. 

 dads are heroes, while single moms are deemed irresponsible and easy.

Dads aren't stupid! There is nothing stopping them from learning how to care for their children. To pretend otherwise is an insult to their intelligence.

It is pretty clear that society feels like the dad is doing the mom favor by looking after his own child because deep down they think she’s the one who’s meant to be looking after them not him. The idea that a dad can babysit his own kid is the tip of the iceberg, covering a host of cultural beliefs that dads are not ‘proper’ parents. But what they are doing is not temporary, and it’s not as a favor. 

Though people may not be trying to be hurtful with these statements, it is often felt as if these men are being undermined in their role as fathers. 

Studies have shown the more responsibility Dads take on raising their children, the happier, longer, and more satisfying their lives are. Also, moms who share the responsibility for the children with their partners have better mental health, enjoy their time spent with their kids, and have a better chance of having a successful career. Then, the icing on the cake, children who have a closer relationship with their father is happier and healthier.

Hopefully, some moms will hear this and attempt to take a step back and give their partner some wiggle room to be able to be a more active and involved parent. Accepting that dads nay do things in their own way is ok and they are capable competent parents.
I've personally made my mistakes in picking partners to help me raise our family, but I can say currently I am so happy to have an involved parent to raise my children with! My partner cooks Saturday breakfast for us, so I am able to get a little extra sleep. He takes the kids to and from school. He is a wonderful partner and a great dad!


Here are seven phrases we can use instead of calling dads helpers:

  1.   
  2.  

 












Comments