Welcome to A Brewed Awakening

4 Underrated Family Hobbies

Spending quality time as a family is something that is very important to us. Fostering close relationships within our family unit definitely reduces conflict and gives my kids a sense of kinship. This sense of family unity has been shown to help with mental health, self-esteem, as well as setting a foundation for later in their own lives to help create healthy happy families of their own. According to All About My Child, "Children with happy family memories are more likely to create a loving environment for their own children when they grow up. Learning to work and play as a family unit is one of the best lessons children can be taught so they can develop into competent adults and parents."

 With the busy world around us, it seems everything is drawing our attention to other places. Smartphones, tablets, game consoles are the things "having fun" with our children instead of us. Even so, spending time as a family doesn't have to feel boring or be forced.  Family hobbies can be fun, adventurous, and engaging. Using hobbies as a family tradition, as Psychologists suggest, give your family something to look forward to and create a deeper bond with your children by creating fun memories to reminiscence when they're older. 

We have a pretty wide range of ages within our family. My oldest and youngest are 11 years apart. Here are some interesting, all-inclusive ideas for family-based hobbies you could possibly bring to your family time

  • Gardening for the whole family 
One extremely underrated hobby is gardening. People tend to think of this as a woman's hobby, but that just isn't true at all. With all the awareness of environmental changes, growing your own vegetables and greenery is becoming more and more popular. Not only is this a great family pastime, but it is also educational. 

You will teach your children responsibility towards their surroundings and environment as they learn to care for plants.  They will also learn the importance of nurturing nature and where their food comes from. 

Communications manager Alyson Chorley explains: “Our research shows that gardening can help you feel happier, healthier, and more confident. It reduces stress and anxiety"

  • Family Book Club
As an avid reader myself, I have passed that interest into a few of my children. If you and your family are lovers of books as well, forming a family book club might be perfect for you. 

At school, my kids engage in a program called Accelerated Reader. They read books on or above their AR level and then have to do a test on it. Reading and then discussing books with my kids during our book club "meetings" has been a big help with their AR scores.  

Allowing each member to take turns choosing the next read is a great way to keep each member of the family engaged.  This also allows parents to familiarize themselves with what their children are reading as well as their pop-cultural interests. 

  • Cook together

I'm sure you've noticed your kids "cooking" in the yard with things like pebbles, grass, and flowers. Kids LIKE to cook, so use that interest to help create some great family bonding time. 

Younger children can help wash lettuce, season meat, and do other similar safe activities. Older children can help cut ingredients or even make the whole meal by themselves. The main idea is to spend time together while teaching them to prepare food for themselves. 
Learning to cook is an important skill.  Cooking together helps your kids to learn nutritional habits while introducing new recipes and having fun at the same time.

  • Volunteering
One of the most satisfying, fun, and productive ways to unite the family unit is to volunteer. Volunteering doesn't only set a great example for your kids, it also helps the community you live in. 

There are plenty of sites with information across the internet for volunteer opportunities. You can also call a favorite charity, hospital, or church directly to see if they have any needs.  You don't even have to be part of a big effort to do good. Grab some garbage bags and head to your local park, playground, or beach and collect garbage. Even the smallest of family members can do this. 

The possibilities for volunteering are honestly endless. As a family, you can make a difference in your community. 


Making family time a priority doesn't have to be something difficult to do. Finding engaging and unique things can be as easy as coming up with a list together based on everyone's interests. Listening to your children and paying attention to what really grabs their attention, then taking that and applying it to fun activities will make sure to keep interests high with your new family hobby. 

Somewhere there is the perfect hobby for your whole family and a wonderful way to create new, fun memories with your children. 







Comments

  1. We love reading, cooking and volunteering together! We really want to start a garden too! I need to brush up on that! Great points. Family time is so important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much information out there on simple gardens to do with kids and right now is the perfect time to start!

      Delete
  2. I love to cook together with my family. It definitely brings us all together and lets us put the phone down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying out new recipes, letting the kids lead really helps them get excited about trying new things.

      Delete
  3. I've worked with a few volunteer organizations and have always LOVED seeing families come out to give their time together. For my husband and I, volunteering together has helped us to strengthen our relationship in a fun and meaningful way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helping the community and strengthen relationships...best possible outcome!!!

      Delete
  4. These are the sorts of hobbies that are just a part of family culture -- I love it. We also include bike riding as a family as one of our favorite hobbies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are currently building up to everyone in our family having a bike. They have some great places downtown were we are that would be so much fun to ride as a family.

      Delete
  5. Doing things together as a family hobby seems like a dying idea Love that you are helping to revive and encourage it!!! Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad that people get too busy to remember how important it is to spend time with their loved ones. So many families are like ships passing in the night.

      Delete
  6. Great information about the family
      It is the family that gives us safety
    thanks for participating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our family members are our first best friends...we just have to remember that as we get older.

      Delete
  7. I looooove my family time so much....We started gardening a couple of years ago and we love it, such an amazing family time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so nice to hear that people enjoy spending time with their families! Nurturing plants while nurturing relationships is great.

      Delete
  8. All of the suggestions are very powerful in building and strengthening the connections among us. Just begin doing one thing. Small steps change lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It doesn't have to be something extravagant or expensive...Do what is comfortable for you and your family!

      Delete
  9. What a lovely list of things to do collectively as a family - volunteering as a family was always something we did growing up. It certainly instilled within us the value of community and contributing what we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have in the works visiting nursing homes with my family. I did that with my sister when I was younger and really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  10. Wow! I'm glad that you made this list. When I have my own family in the future, I will definitely do these things specially gardening because it's fun! :)

    – https://www.nicolesanmiguel.com (Lifestyle and Travel Blog)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome to hear! I know you will be able to build strong bonds within your family :)

      Delete
  11. They are amazing ideas to unite the family with their most loving hobbies. We will surely try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing the things we love together can't be anything but great!

      Delete
  12. Great suggestions for family bonding. Will be trying some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do try some or even find something different that your family will love doing together.

      Delete
  13. What a great list of family activities that are precious yet free. I hope families get some inspiration from this post and try these activities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free is best...LOL! I hope this does give families some ideas :)

      Delete
  14. I was going through this thinking we can't do gardening coz I'm scared of worms, books can be a thing for my son and I though my partner doesn't read. Cooking would be a disaster coz I have actual chefs in the family. I guess that leaves volunteering!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Doing things with family is great for bonding. When I'm off at work I always help my mom to cook dishes for dinner (but honestly I don't know how to cook Lol") HAHA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe looking up some recipes that you think you could do the buik of and then do them with your mom. It'll be fun.

      Delete
  16. I love reading, a lot. I'm really hoping my son gets this from me. And writing too if I'm not too selfish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading together and talking about the books after would be great for y'all!

      Delete
  17. My son is two and we've recently taken up reading together where either one of us reads to him while the other reads their own book.. That way, we inculcate in him the habit of reading without distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great ideas! I always treasured cooking together, it is always very pleasant for me

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such great ideas. I wish my family did more things like this together as I grew up. I will for sure implement these tips whenever I have a family of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being able to give your own family the things you wanted as growing up is pretty therapeutic. I am glad I get to spend more time with my kids and do fun activities that I didn't get as a child.

      Delete
  20. I love these bonding moments especially now that we have to stay at home. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Très bon article, j'adore ! Si joliment écris :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment